Matar Tofu is a delightful Indian-inspired dish that combines the goodness of tofu and green peas in a delicious gravy. This dish is perfect for those who are looking for a protein-rich meal that is easy to prepare and tastes great. The combination of crispy tofu and green peas in a delicious masala made of spices creates a mouth-watering dish that is perfect for any occasion. The GC medium tofu used in this recipe adds a unique texture to the dish that is similar to paneer. The spice blend used in this recipe adds a burst of flavor to the dish, making it a great option for a weeknight dinner or a weekend lunch. The dish is easy to prepare, and the ingredients are readily available in most grocery stores. So, let’s get started and learn how to make this delicious Matar Tofu dish. With its unique combination of flavours and textures, this dish will surely become a staple in your diet.
Crispy Tofu Cubes:
1 Block GC Medium Tofu (Pressed)
4 Tbsp Besan Flour or Chickpea Flour
5 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- Press a block of medium tofu using a tofu press and remove excess water.
- Cut into cubes and pat dry on the surface.
- In a small bowl, take 4 Tbsp of besan flour.
- Drop a few cubes and gently toss around to coat the surface with besan flour.
- Shake off excess and set aside.
- Heat the coconut oil in a cast iron skillet.
- Place all the coated cubes in the skillet to pan-fry on all sides until golden brown and crispy.
- Fry all pieces and set aside.
1 Small Yellow Onion (Finely Chopped)
1/2 Tbsp Ginger paste
1/2 Tbsp Garlic paste
1 Tbsp Cumin Seeds
1 Bay Leaf
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 Tbsp Paprika Powder
1 tsp Chilli Flakes
1 tsp Black Pepper powder
1 tbsp Garam Masala
1/2 Cup Canned Tomato Purée
3 Tbsp Coconut Oil
2 Tbsp Sea Salt
1/2 Cup Frozen Green Peas
1/4 Cup Water
- In a heavy bottom pan, heat coconut oil.
- Add the spices, onion, ginger and garlic to the oil and saute everything well on low to medium heat.
- Splash some water if it starts to stick to the bottom.
- Be careful not to burn the spices. Keep stirring.
- Cook until the onion is translucent and the mixture is condensed.
- Add the tomato purée to the pan and stir well to combine.
- Close the lid and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the tofu cubes and basmati rice in a separate pot.
- After the tomato is cooked well and darker in colour, add the frozen green peas and 1/4 cup water. Let this boil well for another 10 minutes.
- Then all the crispy tofu cubes into the masala and mix well.
- Close the lid and cook for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Switch off the heat and rest for about 10 minutes.
- The tofu will absorb all flavours during the resting period.
- Serve hot with basmati rice.
In conclusion, Matar Tofu is a delicious and healthy vegan dish that is perfect for any occasion. It’s a great way to add protein to your diet while enjoying a flavorful and satisfying meal. Whether you’re new to vegan cooking or a seasoned pro, this recipe will surely become a favorite. So go ahead and give it a try – your taste buds will thank you!
We hope you enjoyed this Matar Tofu recipe and that it inspires you to try exciting new dishes in your kitchen. Happy cooking!