We all love vegan cheese, don’t we? But what if I told you that most vegan cheese alternatives contain undesirable ingredients such as modified starches and heavily processed tropical oils that can cause digestive issues and an unpalatable taste. This flavourful vegan cheese sauce is perfect for adding a cheesy, savoury flavour to your favourite dishes without using unhealthy ingredients or products. The sauce is made with tapioca starch, which gives it a stretchiness; turmeric and paprika to add colour and subtle spice notes; oat milk for the creamy mouthfeel; Nutritional yeast to amp up the cheesy smell and Green Cuisine’s Mochirella Cheddar Style Cheese Shreds that makes a luscious cheese sauce. We lightly stir-fried Smoked Tempeh slices to dip in this dreamy sauce. You can dip any roasted vegetable in this for a decadent meal!
- 100g GC Mochirella Cheddar Style Shreds
- 2 Tbsp Vegan Butter (We used Melt)
- 1 tsp Paprika powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 20g Tapioca Starch Powder
- 150ml Oat Milk
- 150ml water (or more if needed)
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the vegan butter over medium heat.
- Gradually add the oat milk, water and tapioca mixture, constantly whisking to prevent lumps from forming.
- Add the paprika, turmeric, salt, and nutritional yeast, and stir until well combined.
- Continue to cook the sauce, continually stirring, until it thickens to your desired consistency (about 5-7 minutes).
- Add the cheese shreds and melt completely.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with our smoked tempeh strips.
This cheese sauce is versatile and can be used in many dishes. You can make pasta, use it as a dip for crackers, a topping for nachos, or a sauce for pizza.
If you have any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. To reheat the sauce, microwave it or heat it on the stove over low heat, constantly stirring until it is heated.
Try this vegan cheese sauce recipe and enjoy a cheesy, delicious meal without guilt!