When it comes to healthy eating, we tend to skimp on the greens. Because, let’s be honest, they don’t taste the best! The bitterness and strong smells are no one’s favourite. But not when you prepare them deliciously with subtle spices and our tofu! Palak curry in Indian culture has been convincing people to eat more spinach for ages, and it works all the time because it is so delicious. Palak curry is made with many types of protein. In this recipe, we’ll see how to make Palak Tofu Curry. The garam masala and other spices add aromatics to the dish, so the smell of greens does not come through. Cashews, when blended with spinach, give a creamy and cheesy mouthfeel. The potatoes add to the creaminess as well while adding a subtle sweetness. Our GC Extra Firm Tofu is the star of the dish. The tofu block is cooked in salty water to make it tender and chewier; to get a texture like dairy paneer. This step is optional but highly recommended. Now, unto the recipe.
1 block GC Extra Firm Tofu
2 Tbsp Sea Salt
1 block Frozen Spinach (or 2 C Fresh Spinach)
1/4 C Cashews (soaked)
1.5 C Water
4 Tbsp Coconut Oil
1 Tbsp Garam Masala
1 tsp Cumin seeds
2 tsp Black Peppercorns
1/2 tsp Chilli flakes
2 tsp Turmeric powder
2 tsp Garlic paste
2 tsp Ginger paste
2 Small Potatoes
Side of Jeera Rice:
1 C Basmati Rice
1/4 C Frozen Geen Peas
2 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tsp salt
1 tsp Coconut Oil
2.5 C Water
- Boil 1 L of water in a pan.
- Add 2 Tbsp of sea salt to it.
- Drop in the block of tofu and let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Switch off the heat and strain the water using the pot’s lid.
- Gently remove the tofu block and press it using a tofu press or paper towel and weights to remove excess water.
- Cook the Basmati rice with green peas, cumin seeds, coconut oil and salt for 20 mins at medium heat.
- Turn off the heat and close the pot with a lid when the water recedes. Set aside.
- Blend thawed spinach and soaked cashews into a fine purée with water in a blender.
- In a heavy bottom pan, heat coconut oil.
- Add all the spices and cook for a minute.
- Add in the diced shallots, garlic paste and ginger paste.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Then add the spinach cashew purée to the pot.
- Cook well for 20 minutes. The mixture will thicken.
- Meanwhile, cube up the tofu block and keep it ready.
- Drop in the tofu cubes carefully and stir thoroughly.
- Cook for another 10 minutes with the lid.
- Turn off the heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with jeera rice.
Palak Tofu curry goes well as a side dish for roti or naan. You could adjust the spice level with chilli flakes, garlic and ginger paste. This creamy, delicious curry will soothe you during a busy or stressful day and is very nutritious. Get our Extra Firm tofu, give it a try, and let us know how you like it. Share on social media and tag us so we can see your beautiful creations!