Just like the leaves changing to warmer tones in fall, our food follows suit as the weather gets cooler. Let us start with yellow – first in the gastronomical spectrum of spicy flavours. Say hi to Tofu Yellow Curry. It instantly warms up your heart and satiates the soul. All made possible with creamy medium firm tofu and smooth coconut milk simmered with soothing turmeric and spices. Taking less than 30 minutes to complete, this Tofu yellow Curry will take care of your chilly night dinners. Let us dive into the curry business, shall we?
Gather these ingredients:
- 1/2 block cubed medium firm tofu (like Green Cuisines’s organic tofu)
- 2 tbsp red curry paste (say Cock Brand, Thai Kitchen or Aroy-D)
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 2 shallots or 1 small red onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 600 ml creamy Coconut milk (we used Thai kitchen in tetrapak)
- 10 white mushrooms quartered
- 10 snow peas
- Half a bell pepper sliced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced bamboo shoots
- Or any vegetables of your choice
Heat oil in a heavy pot like enamelled cast iron.
Sauté onion and garlic until glossy and aromatic.
Add red curry paste and turmeric powder, and cook for a minute.
Add the mushrooms and salt, and sauté until the mushrooms release water.
Add in the coconut milk and let it come to a slow boil.
Drop the veggies and simmer for 10 mins.
Switch off the heat and serve with hot jasmine rice.
For Jasmine rice:
- 1 cup rinsed jasmine rice (white or brown)
- 3 cups fresh cold water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Bring this to a boil in an open pot.
- When water has reduced, close the lid and lower the heat.
- Switch off the heat and let sit for 10 minutes while you prepare the curry.
Beware, you’ll get addicted to this creamy curry and melt into it completely! The medium-firm tofu is well suited for this recipe because it softens in the cooking process and melts in your mouth like a spicy cheesecake. The jasmine rice is a vessel to carry this creamy deliciousness into your heart effortlessly. You can go crazy with the vegetables as there are no rules! Make this tonight for your family or take to a friend in need, or simply enjoy it yourself. Let us know how you like it!